Oyster Mix: GLOVES
Like a glove!
Having flown straight from Japan to DJ three sets (in two days) at Splendour, GLOVES still had the energy to make us a mixtape. Bless! If you don't already know, GLOVES is the project of Melbourne's Yama Indra, otherwise known as one half of indie-electro duo Damn Arms. The prolific solo bro has remixed tracks for the likes of Cut Copy and Van She, and is signed to the infamous Bang Gang 12 Inches label. Now he can add Oyster mix contributor to his resumé. Thanks, GLOVES! Get to know him with these ten facts:
- Currently sitting at my window, drinking iced espresso and listening to Frank Ocean 'Thinking About You', on a break from production sessions on an album for Minx (EMI).
- Between my band and solo work I've toured over 17 countries and played over 300 gigs, including support tours for The Kills, Klaxons, Cut Copy and more.
- Last July I played the summer solstice in Umea, Northern Sweden. So bizarre, I finished playing at 3am, walked outside, and it was still daylight!
- Favourite drink (other than coffee!) is a negroni or Campari with soda. Favourite food is tacos.
- Current favourite city is Amsterdam, mostly for the design aesthetic and culture — not the weed... though when in Rome!
- Favourite designers are Lieve Van Gorp, Petar Petrov, Helmut Lang, Wendy&Jim, Comme Des Garcons, Margiela & Yohji Yamamoto.
- Grew up on Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's most remote & beautiful spots. Raised on surfing, sun, vegetables, skateboarding, 70s classics, 80s punk & hip hop.
- My first live performance was fronting an ironic electronic punk band called Circle of Destruction. For the finale of our first show we set alight five Roman candles (fireworks) in the middle of a house party. Idiots!
- If anyone reads this and has video footage from my band Snap! Crakk!s last show, in which where we played nude with Moving Units in Melbourne, please get in touch. I saw 10+ video cameras running so it's out there somewhere.
- My parents gave me the name Yama thinking that it meant 'God of the Setting Sun'. Turns out that was a metaphor and the true definition is 'God of Death'. So I was pretty fucking badass from day one.
Jai Paul - Jasmine
Metro Area - Piña
Breakbot - One Out Of Two (Feat. Irfane) (Oliver Remix)
Human League - Never Let Me Go (Aeroplane Remix)
Chromatics - These Streets Will Never Look The Same
Maceo Plex - Sex Appeal
Rimer London - Love Dagger
Jamie Woon - Night Air (Ramadanman Refix)
Mr Jigga - Won't You Be Mine (GLOVES Remix)
Gloves is playing this Saturday night at Goodgod!