Eight reasons why Janelle Monae is your new favourite artist.
Janelle Monae is AWESOME, so we have put together eight reasons why she will be your favourite artist of the new year.
1. Her soulful sound is an amalgamation of James Brown, Outkast, Gnarls Barkley, Prince, Santogold and Lauryn Hill.
2. Rumour has it that her fans include Prince and President Obama. She was discovered by Cee Lo Green and mentored by Sean Combs.
3. She's freaking crazy (or is she a genius?). Her album, ArchAndroid, is set in the year 2719 and centres on her alter ego of Cindi Mayweather (like Beyonce/Sasha Fierce but better). She only dates androids and she attends the Android Methodist Church. Time travel is real.
5. Her hair has just as much personality as she does. A friend invented a machine to quiff her hair automatically.
6. When she dances she makes it look like the floor is made of ice:
7. She makes a great Halloween costume.
8. She's coming to visit! Grab your ticket for Good Vibrations 2011 at moshtix.