Modular Mix: Ariane
From our very own Deputy Editor!
Formerly DJing under the moniker Perfect Snatch, our Deputy Editor Ariane Halls has stripped things right back to her three-syllabic Christian name. A former FBi presenter, Ariane now holds residencies at Sydney venues like Ching-a-Lings, Goodgod and The Flinders Hotel. Should you catch her at any of those places, you can expect to hear any vast assortment of "past-era oddities or dance-hit sureties" (so say her agency guys over at Modular, and so say us). Obviously some slight bias is operating here, but as if "past-era oddities or dance-hit sureties" isn't the exact definition of what any given person wants to hear on a night out!
We asked Ariane to tell us ten facts about her fine self:
1) I am the Deputy Editor of Oyster, so thanks to them for letting me come in late when I am sleepy after a late night.
2) Between 2006 and 2008 I was a presenter on FBi Radio, which is how I eventually started DJing.
3) My last meal would be a ploughman's lunch.
4) I recently switched from being right to left-handed. I got RSI in my right shoulder so I switched my mouse hand over, and now I've started writing with the left hand as well. It takes about three to four weeks to learn each new skill.
5) I used to hate Fleetwood Mac.
6) Fleetwood Mac 'Tusk' is the most-played song in my iTunes library.
7) The best DJ set I have ever seen was Derrick May at 202 Broadway, or maybe Thomas Bullock on a boat on Sydney Harbour.
8) The first CD I ever bought was Ace of Base Happy Nation.
9) If I were only allowed to play one genre it would be house music made between 1987 and 2000 (ie Bob Sinclar's last good record).
10) That isn't me in the picture below.
To celebrate being signed to the Modular Agency, Ariane made this awesome mix for their Modcast.
1. Computer Incantations For World Peace- Jean-Luc Ponty
2. Wax The Van (Kenny's Club Version)- By Arthur Russell
3. Doin' Ya Thang (Original)- By Oliver $
4. Life Is Changing (Original Mix)- By Cricco Castelli
5. Trainmann (Tensnake Franceman Mix)- By Lauer
6. Tenderly- By Disclosure
7. Deep Inside (The Dub)- By Hardrive
8. Voice Modulation - Anthony Rother Remix- By Aux 88
9. No Worries (Original Mix)- By Butch
10. Pseudo Wind0- By Doris Sana
11. Houston We Have A Problem (Original Mix)- By Genius Of Time
12. Like Some Dream (I Can't Stop Dreaming) By Daniel Wang
13. Tribute By Moodymann
14. Bitshit 1 And 2 By For Disco Only
15. Kiss You All Over (Dynamicron Edit) By Exile
16. O Superman. By A.P.O
You can catch Ariane this weekend at OutsideIn Festival on Saturday from 10-11pm and then from midnight until late in the front bar at Goodgod Small Club.
Photo: Trevene Patrick