Laila is a Melbourne-based DJ who is playing tomorrow at Day Care, a monthly party at the Carlton Hotel which has featured DJs like Misha Hollenbach from P.A.M. and Dan Whitford from Cut Copy. Laila sent us ten fun facts about herself:
1. I recorded this mix live in my lounge room (LOL, lo-fi), although I'm not entirely opposed to using Abelton to make mixes. I like listening to mixes I know are recorded live so I can imagine the DJ's playing live in the club — or lounge room.
2. I organise Day Care with DJ Biscuit, who is one half of TOTEBAGZ with Misha, and he also runs moon-rocks.blogspot
. I think Biscuit knows more about music than any other person that I've ever met. Day Care has become a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon with friends playing records and having long catch-up conversations in the sunshine. It's cool that my friends who have children can come and party with their kids.
3. I work (casually) as the Editor of The Blackmail
, and our first print edition comes out this week — finally! The launch is at Day Care! The Sydney launch with be at the P.A.M. store.
4. I sometimes do stuff for Doingbird
and I have a submission in issue #16 which should be hitting shelves any day now!
5. My first ever job when I was 16 was in a record store. Also, I am a member of the international boys club The Serps (me being the one exception to the obvious rule).
6. I am in a band with my friend Clare called Perfume Production. The setup at this stage consists of some Roland drum machines, some analogue synths and accessories, and absolutely zero finished tracks — but stay tuned, we'll get there!
7. I work in a freelance capacity under the company name Label with a colleague Belle. Get it? LA+BEL. We do creative stuff, copywriting, branding, etc. We have worked with Lucy Folk, Sunday Ganim, Rae Ganim, Ganim's Store, Poms, Pageant, and lots of other cool people. Our meetings generally involve dumplings and genmai cha tea.
8. I get my hair done at Fur every week. No joke! Apparently my hair is great for apprentices to practise on. Fur are the best.
9. I am djing at the next Bamboo Musik Ladies Night, ladies dance for free!
10. I just finished writing a thesis and finally have a lil' time on my hands. YES!
And she also made us this sweet mix to get you ready for the good times: